Electric Car Home Charger
A quick and convenient way to charge
Do you own a plug-in hybrid or electric vehicle (EV)? MGE's new home charging program makes it quick and easy to charge your car's battery with a Level 2 (L2) charger. L2 chargers are up to six times faster than a standard 120-volt electrical outlet.
No up-front installation fees
This program provides a ChargePoint Home L2 charger to MGE customers living in a single-family residence without having to pay up-front installation fees. You'll pay a monthly fee of about $20 (64 cents per day) plus the cost of electricity. Sign up for our Time of Use (TOU) electric rate and reduce your electricity costs by charging at times when rates are lowest.
MGE will work with a licensed electrician to install and maintain the charging station.
Manage charging sessions from anywhere at any time
The ChargePoint Home is easy to use. It can be controlled remotely via Wi-Fi from a smartphone. You can monitor and manage your charging sessions from anywhere. It also integrates with other ChargePoint chargers so you can view all of your residential, public and workplace charging history.
As part of our commitment to advancing new technology, as outlined in our Energy 2030 framework, MGE is offering the Charge@Home program pilot to help make EV ownership easier for our customers. Encouraging L2 installations helps us learn how to best manage the impact of EV charging on our distribution system. Participants will be enrolled in a study to help us communicate and manage charging sessions.
- Charge your battery faster. A Nissan LEAF® with a fully depleted battery needs four hours to charge with an L2 charger vs. eight hours with a standard 120-volt electric outlet.
- No up-front installation fees. MGE will install the ChargePoint Home, and you may save hundreds of dollars depending on the work needed. You only pay $20 per month.
- Turn-key service from MGE. We will install and maintain the charging station.
- No worries. MGE stands behind the licensed electrician's work and the charging station.
- Receive just one bill. Utility service and the monthly fee will be on your utility bill.
- Reduced charging fees. L2 charging allows you to charge when electricity costs less (TOU rate).