Car Charger Installation
One of the most convenient aspects of owning a Tesla is waking up to a fully charged car every morning. We want this experience to begin the moment you take delivery. While you are awaiting delivery of your Tesla, we recommend to prepare your home for charging. This page provides the information to get you prepared.
What to install?
We recommend to install a Tesla Wall Connector at home as this is the most convenient way to charge. Tesla Wall Connector has a dedicated cable which plugs directly into your car and is available in two different cable lengths: 2.5 and 7.5 metre. Other cars with a Type 2 inlet can also charge on this unit.
A Tesla Wall Connector enables charging up to 22 kW. The achievable charge rate depends on your grid connection and vehicle configuration.
- The majority of homes have a 1-phase grid connection, allowing you to charge up to 7.4 kW or 22 miles/hour*. This is more than sufficient for overnight charging.
- Some homes have a 3-phase grid connection. This connection enables you to charge up to 11 kW or 34 miles/hour*.
- If more power is available or if you plan to upgrade your grid connection, a Tesla can charge up to 16.5 kW or 51 miles/hour*. To achieve this charge rate, the car needs to be equipped with the High power charger upgrade.
*Refers to the rated range added on Model S per hour charging
Who can install?
Every location is different. To ensure a smooth and safe installation, you can contact one of Tesla’s recommended installers.
You can find a local installer in your area on the following page:
Tesla Wall Connector
If you organise the installation of Tesla Wall Connector yourself, Tesla recommends working with a qualified electrician.
Tesla Mobile Connector
If you would like to use the Tesla Mobile Connector as a home charging solution, you can share the following document with your electrician to ensure the correct outlet is installed:
What comes standard with your Tesla?
The vehicle comes standard with the Tesla Mobile Connector, a cable which can be used for common outlets. The cable can be mounted with the following standard adapters:
- Blue adapter for an industrial socket to charge the Tesla up to 22 miles of range per hour.
- An adapter with domestic plug to connect to the Mobile Connector and to charge up to 6 miles of range per hour.
A separate Type 2 charging cable for public stations is included with the vehicle at delivery.**
Overview of Home Charging Options
|Connector Type||Standard||Max. range per/hr (miles)||Max. charging rate (kW)||Cable length (metre)|
Tesla Wall Connector
|34 (51*)||11 (16.5*)||2.5 or 7.5|
+ Blue adapter
+ Domestic adapter
Type 2 cable
* High Power Charger Upgrade on the vehicle required to reach charge rates.